In 2016 Transport for London (TfL) undertook a consultation on the routes and frequencies of buses in the Orpington area. They focussed on the the ‘R” series of local bus routes around Orpington. No changes were proposed in the longer routes (e.g. route 208, 51, 61, 353, 358 etc) that serve Orpington.
From 1st April 2017 the following changes were made to the local Orpington bus routes.
R1 St Paul’s Cray – Green Street Green
Buses will be rerouted to serve Tower Road, Orpington. Buses will run at different times: - Monday to Saturday daytime buses will now run every 20 minutes (previously of every 15 minutes).
R2 Orpington, Walnuts Centre – Biggin Hill Valley
Buses will be rerouted to start and finish at Orpington town centre (Homefield Rise), no longer serving Petts Wood. Route R3 will continue to connect Orpington and Petts Wood.
R3 Princess Royal University Hospital – Orpington station
Buses will be rerouted to start and finish at Orpington station, no longer serving Chelsfield Village. Route R7 will provide the connection between Orpington and Chelsfield Village. Buses will also be rerouted along Amherst Drive (St. Mary Cray).
Buses will run more often:
– Monday to Saturday daytime buses will run every 20 minutes (previously every 30 minutes)
– Sundays and each evening buses will run every 30 minutes (previously every 60 minutes).
R7 Chislehurst – Chelsfield
The route will be extended to Chislehurst High Street (from Bickley) and to Chelsfield Village (from Orpington), replacing route R3. Buses will run more often:
– Monday to Saturday daytime buses will run every 30 minutes (previously every 70 minutes)
– A Sunday service will be introduced. Buses will run every 60 minutes.
– Buses will run every 60 minutes each evening (previously Monday to Saturday every 70-75 minutes but finishing earlier).
R11 Sidcup, Queen R11 Mary’s Hospital – Green Street Green
Buses will no longer serve Edginton Way and Foots Cray, Tesco, but will continue to serve Orpington Hospital. Buses will run more often:
– Monday to Saturday buses will run every 12 minutes (previously every 15 minutes) - Sundays and each evening buses will run every 20 minutes (previously every 30 minutes)